I have always loved health and all things natural, ever since I was young.
I would make the things that I could by hand, rather than buying, and I would feel an amazing sense of accomplishment. I also felt like I was helping to create a healthier life for myself and my family.
I loved to make my kid’s lunches for them, including home-baked cookies (as a stay-at-home Mom, this was also to save money!!). I still remember the day my son came home from school and said “Mom can we have normal cookies, like Oreos?” When I asked him why, and he said all his friends have them and they take them apart, eat the centre and then dip the cookie in their milk… and he wanted to do that too! Oh my, how advertising can sell to kids!
Advertising and the Media can play quite a role in what and how we shop. We listen to what works for our friends or a celebrity and think that it’ll work for us too. This is where we all have to stand up and find the values that guide us. I had a discussion with my son that day, but, he still wanted the Oreos… He did get some, but not all the time. Today, I am so proud of my two adult children because they very much follow their own path and don’t try to follow in the latest craze!
I also feel very passionate about trying to stay as close to nature with my food and skincare. Our health can be accomplished in a natural way rather than by eating processed foods and using synthetic products filled with harmful chemicals.
I still shake my head at the advertising that these mass beauty product manufacturers are claiming. They claim that they will give you back your youth and make you beautiful, all while putting harmful chemicals on your largest organ: your skin.
Remember, your skin is the direct pathway to your bloodstream. Which is why I am very concerned about what I put on it!
I am so happy about the level of awareness that people have about the ingredients they are using in their personal care products and the food they eat, but I am also equally shocked at how many people are still unaware of why they shouldn’t be using harmful chemicals, such as aluminium, in products like antiperspirants. This makes me want to educate and empower as many of you as possible!
Here are five reasons why I choose natural skin care products and hopefully, you will also consider this when going through your daily beauty routine:
- I want to know what I am putting on my skin and into my body. This means using ingredients I can pronounce and that I can trace their source to something that grows from the earth such as the beautiful Shea Butter from the shea nut in Northern Ghana; luxurious botanical oils that come from the seeds and nuts of plants, and the aromatic essential oils that come from flowering plants such as lavender and geranium!
- I love knowing that the therapeutic-grade essential oils I use in my Rain Natural Skincare products give a naturally uplifting or calming scent to my mind and tremendous health benefits for my skin too. I love natural scents, but I also make sure that I am not going only on the scent, but on what I am trying to achieve with a certain product. Ex: Lavender in my night cream to calm us and encourage sleep as well as the beneficial aspect, like how it stimulates skin cell regeneration. Many years ago when I used to wear perfume, I chose them because of the scent, but now I know that hidden behind their pleasant scents are chemicals linked to hormone disruption, reproductive problems, and even cancer. YIKES!!
- I have made huge dietary changes that have helped me tremendously health-wise (ie: eating as close to nature as possible, with lots of healthy fats) and I also think that the natural skincare products I now make and use also play a huge factor in my overall health. I use to get headaches and suffer from digestive issues, but I hardly ever have any of those issues anymore and when I do I can usually pinpoint the cause right away. (What did I eat, drink, or smell recently?) I just feel healthier now and more in tune with my body.
- Because I eat as clean and organic as possible, I also feel that my skincare routine should also be clean. These changes were made slowly over time. I didn’t throw away all of my products on impulse, but I gradually replaced them with healthier, natural choices as they ran out. This also included my household products such as hand soaps, cleaners, laundry soap, etc.
- This is a big one — I know that I don’t want to wake up one day with poor health and a big scare of then needing to make these life changes. I want to improve a little bit every day and be proactive about my health and that of my family. I consider these preventative measures. Rather than paying money on prescription pills for various diseases, I would much rather pay a farmer for locally grown fresh foods and put pure, natural products on my skin. This is my way of helping my body live longer and healthier!
Many of us take our health for granted until we suddenly have a health scare or other reason to wake up and are frightened into making some big life changes. Start now, while it is easy and on your terms. I do it because I want to live a long healthy life and stay active for as long as I can. What’s your reason?
So in typical “me” fashion, because I couldn’t find the natural skincare products I was looking for, I decided to become educated and started making my own! It’s important for me to make products that are pure and natural, using high-quality ingredients, and avoiding synthetics, and petrochemicals. We all need to take care of our health and look after ourselves as well as pamper ourselves with some natural skincare products!
If you have any questions or for more information on my Rain Natural Skincare products that use ingredients that are clean, simple, and transparent, visit my shop!